Traditional magazine planning and production processes are often centred around a simple hand drawn paper ‘flatplan’. Our client asked us to develop an online multi-user system that would allow distributed teams to collaborate on their flatplans. The interface needed to be intuitive with simple ‘drag and drop’ capability wherever possible. In addition a method of managing users and recording usage was required as this was being offered on a ‘Software as a Service’ (SaaS) basis.
- Due to the multi-user nature of planning magazines, with various editorial copy and advertisements all needing to be positioned on the plan and their progress tracked, a web service was the obvious platform.
- ‘Drag and drop’ placement and movement of editorials and advertisements was implemented in Flash providing fast and smooth animation.
- Individual items can be labelled and colour coded to denote progress status.
- PDF thumbnail view available for completed pages.
- Ability to print and email flatplans in pdf format at different zoom levels.
- With the magazine publishing industry split 50:50 Mac and PC, the Intelligent Flatplan’s browser-based operation provides a seamless, cross-platform working environment for entire publishing teams.
- 24/7 global access.
- Subscription based service with option to purchase online using debit or credit card.
At the time of writing, over 3,100 users have used the Intelligent Flatplan to produce nearly 7,500 issues, totalling over 550,000 pages. With the on-going introduction of new features and a growth target of 1,000,000 pages per year the Intelligent Flatplan is poised to become a ‘household name’ in the global magazine publishing sector.
“A significant slice of the global magazine publishing industry has the BioMedical team to thank for its improved planning and production capability.”