Our client came to us with a colour touchscreen panel that was configurable via a USB port to display various different meters. In collaboration with Lascar Electronics we completed a software package based on their design to allow a user to customise all aspects of the meter and upload the necessary files to the panel.
Following the success of the initial version they came back to us to assist in the design of a framework that would allow them to add new meter application without the need for major programming changes along with an efficient method of delivering updates to users.
A .net Windows application was created with the following features:
- Outer framework application designed to handle new meter configuration processes without any code changes.
- All meter configuration screens loaded from external files using an XML schema.
- Real-time device detection to allow uploading and downloading of configuration data.
- Ability to configure the scaling of the meters, to control what they display at specified voltages
- All colour values converted to and from 16 bit RGB565 to ensure compatibility with the panel
The configuration application allows users to modify the display panel to their own requirements. This flexible approach makes the provision of dedicated display panels a simple, quick and inexpensive process compared to the traditional route of dedicated device programming.
The framework and web interface approach allows for the rapid and inexpensive development and deployment of new meters along with updates to existing meters.
“BioMedical are a great company to work with, progressive and fun. By combining their software development skills with our Panel, we have an award winning product that has brought us commercial success.
Rod Piwowarski (B.Eng)
Group Chief Executive